Forums

Voice Acting Competition

Quick find code: 254-255-153-63555327

Mod Kathy

Mod Kathy

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
Let your voice be heard!

The competition has ended and we've created a little treat for all of you. This video is a behind the scenes sneak peek at how voice acting is done in RuneScape. Check it out!

Good luck!

Introduction

Characters

Ian's Tips

FAQ

06-Feb-2012 11:56:58 - Last edited on 22-Mar-2012 09:16:02 by Mod Kathy

Mod Kathy

Mod Kathy

The Characters

The characters we would like you to choose from are the wounded solider (male) and the Nurse (female). We've included their dialogue in this post. How you wish to interpret their voice is largely up to you. You could make the Nurse sound all serious, perhaps give the soldier a bit of a lisp.
When sending in your recordings do please make sure you cover all the lines for the character you want to play, however also feel free to ad-lib lines you think we'll enjoy, as well as play around with the wording of the main lines.

The Wounded Soldier (9 Lines)

“Urrrrgh…”
“Arrrrgh…”
“Ow…my spleen!”
“Ouch…my duodenum!”
“Urgh…my pancreas!”
“Oh Gods, all my organs hurt!”
“So much pain…”
“Where…where am I?”
“He broke my bones…my blood…my everything!”

The Nurse (3 lines)

"Can this wait? I'm trying to tend to these soldiers"
"No, I didn't. I'll send a stretcher team out right away"
"These leeches won't distribute themselves, you know"

Good Luck!

Introduction

Characters

Ian's Tips

FAQ

06-Feb-2012 15:51:17 - Last edited on 07-Feb-2012 16:22:06 by Mod Kathy

Mod Kathy

Mod Kathy

Mod Ian's Top Recording Tips!

"I've been working for Jagex since the early days when membership first became available, I was responsible for all of the game’s music and sound effects.
As Runescape has grown I now work in a team with other audio developers producing all manner of audio content for Runescape, including music and sound effects, but I’ve also been heavily involved in producing the recent voiceovers in game too." ~ Mod Ian

Use an appropriate audio program…
No… “paint” or “notepad” won’t do a decent job here, but I can recommend a good free piece of software that you can use, see here: Click here to check it out!
Use a good microphone…
If you have one available, then use it. A plastic karaoke mic / tin can probably won’t do your voice justice! If you don’t have one, a headset or something similar should do the job!
Keep it quiet…
Close the door, turn your mp3’s off, and make sure your Brother / Sister / Pet Canary isn’t ruining your recording by wailing in the background!
Watch those levels…
Record nice and loud but keep an eye on those recording levels… If your recording is so loud it resembles a heavy metal singer during a hailstorm we might not be able to use it!
Don’t be shy…
Don’t be afraid to act the part, and really get into the spirit of the character you are performing! Feel the drama! (no, I don’t mean an impersonation from your favourite soap opera / reality TV show!)

Mod Ian

Introduction

Characters

Ian's Tips

FAQ

06-Feb-2012 15:51:35

Mod Kathy

Mod Kathy

FAQ

Can I send in more than one entry?
Yes, you can send in as many entries as you like. If you do send in more than one version make sure they're all a little different in style. It won't really improve your chances if every attempt sounds exactly the same! Play around with the characterisation, add flair!
When will the winners be announced?
The date for entries to be sent in is the 19th February. Deciding the actual winner depends entirely on how many entries we get, so basically we'll announce the winners when we can!
Will I be mentioned in the credits?
Yes, you will be featured in the credits for RuneScape. It will be your player name that will be used.
What format should it be in?
MP3 preferably but we can take windows sound files too.
Can I change the words?
Yes! Whilst we would like our lines to be used we're open to your suggestions for other lines to use.
Are there any prizes other than being in the game?
What, being immortal isn't enough for you!? Madness! :P No, the only prize is fame and glory of being a RuneScape voice actor.
I'm female but want to do the soldiers voice. Can I?
Can you do a deep voice? You're welcome to give it a go but we aren't going to be changing the character models gender.
Is this for members only?
The content these characters will feature in are for members only but anyone is welcome to take part.
How come the soldier has more lines than the nurse?
Although the number of lines differ the total number of words is close. We also felt that the males of RuneScape just couldn't handle a passage without at least some groaning and self pity. ;)
Does it matter if I have an accent?
Of course not. The more variety we have to choose from, the better! :D
How do you pronounce duodenum?
It's broken up like this: du·o·de·num. To listen to an example go here.

FAQ

Introduction

Characters

Ian's Tips

FAQ

06-Feb-2012 15:51:53 - Last edited on 13-Feb-2012 11:25:23 by Mod Kathy

Quick find code: 254-255-153-63555327 Back to Top