Forums

MTX, player base, and rares

Quick find code: 17-18-548-66261664

Readinggeak

Readinggeak

Posts: 7,611 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sup everyone. A few months back I began transferring gp from OSRS to RS3 to get back into the rares game. I don't understand RS3 at all, but I have always loved trading old school discontinued items (not a huge fan of the new ones).

I was fully ready to stop playing OSRS and not only merch on RS3, but give the full game mode a try. Unfortunately, I'm part of the small % locked out since the most recent update.

During this lockout time, I've been reading more on reddit about MTX concerns, shrinking player base, etc. With the lifting of max cash and addition of a GE tax looming as well, I've been wondering how rares will fair in the future. What're your thoughts?

-How could a potentially shrinking player base (not sure if this is actually happening, or just reddit hype) influence the price and future of rares? Would demand dry up and prices drop, or would there just be further consolidation of these items in the hands of the few?

-The GE tax will reduce the rate of inflation, but is MTX inflationary? Are people worried about "MTX creep," in other words there becoming a point where you can just buy partyhats with real $? This could ruin the specialness of these items.

-Where are all the rares? I'm not convinced they've been lost to banned/inactive accounts. This is speculation, but I would speculate that most banned accounts sold most of the rares and then gp before they got banned. And inactive accounts always come back from time to time (the classic joke that no one quits RS, just takes breaks). I think this is particularly true if you own a ton of rares. If you quit in 2012, for example, because of EoC or something, but had 100 santas or a partyhat set or something, at that point you knew those items were worth a ton, I doubt you wouldn't log in again to see how they're doing. I only buy the "inactive" argument for rares from like pre 2007.

04-Sep-2022 14:58:39

Readinggeak

Readinggeak

Posts: 7,611 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
...continuing from above:

I have heard some theories that once max cash is lifted, ex-stakers/gamblers could log in and dump their stocks of rares to then RWT the cash. Right now selling off a lot of rares is time consuming and honestly annoying. This could artificially lower supply.

Long story short, I think rares are super cool and a unique aspect of this game (one way OSRS will never scratch the same itch for me as RS3), but I am worried about their future, mostly due to concerns over the future of the game in general. I'm not familiar enough with the game (more familiar with OSRS), so wanted to hear your thoughts.

How has the rares market changed over the past 10, 20 years? How do you see it changing in the next 6 months, 1 yr, 2 yrs, 5 years?

Thanks for your input/discussion!

04-Sep-2022 14:58:56 - Last edited on 04-Sep-2022 15:01:55 by Readinggeak

S I N O N 1
May Member 2021

S I N O N 1

Posts: 34 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I hope they dont ruin the rares man. I will likely quit and I know they will lose alot of players. Im with you on the rares thing totally get the whole thing. right now we are on the edge tho as far as whats gonna happen. I seen rares just go to the moon since i been into them as a kid, they've always been a sought after item and a piece of history.
Like you said it doesnt have the same allure in old school, support.

Rares are one of the reasons I still play this game, especially after they killed armors like rune (t) rune saradomin , rune gilded, and rune zammy.

I dont know they ruin alot of things in this game, I'm hoping this is the one pillar they dont touch further so much to as to ruin the whole thing. I wish we had received an orange partyhat or cyan, or even black for this 20th anniversary event instead of this weird golden one that nothing matches the texture of well. Maybe even if they made it as rare as these platinum nex armors from the 300M account creation event.

Heh Idk things are sketch rn.. Alot of people quitting on reddit daily cuz all jagex has been "milking the MTX" they say. Idk times have changed and no one wants to grind out levels anymore its more about the bossing, and most people quit before they can even get through all the hours of the grind.

As a player who won the holly wreath having to be 1 of the 1000 players to win that item. As well as winning the OG christmas scythe from a golden christmas cracker during the same event, as a 1 in 5000 of the scythes released. I enjoyed the event and it was rare to win it, so it was exciting.

I really wish they do more of these rather than something like the green santa event where it can heavily be influenced or advantaged by MTX

I dont care too much about XP mtx, but its sketch how that one Jmod said he was trying to address rares on its own.. like oh man here we go again... they gonna ruinscape another great piece of content..

Anyway take care.
No Support!

12-Sep-2022 08:11:18 - Last edited on 12-Sep-2022 08:17:33 by S I N O N 1

Raphtalia6
Oct Member 2017

Raphtalia6

Posts: 1,134 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
lifting the max cash will lead to people not needing the forums or discords anymore for prices, sure at the start people will still need it because the ge has to adjust values but long term the ge will do all the social interactions im really worried about the community and the social status of the game.

about the MTX:

mtx has been an issue from the get a go, people who can literally buy 120,s with real life money.

its even a political thing because of the above which caused issues towards the integrity of the game and its purposes.

mtx also supports inflation with its weekly promos that inject alot of coins in the game.

about rares and its connection with the release of max cash:

i know alot of players who quit after the removal of the duel arena but also players who got a phat years ago who quit after getting it there.

if they have the intent to sell it for real life money(which is against the rules and i am fully against rwt items!), they would do it after the ge stabilizes in its new format and prices would be one of the best options.

on a side note:

i see alot of people who think that there is not alot of cash ingame to cover for the prices of rares, im more worried that there isnt enough rares to cover for the cash injected in the game.
trusting certain pc lists or prices of items or websites that dont belong to jagex will get you into trouble notice: external websites and trades are your responsibility, dont get fooled!.

12-Sep-2022 17:05:50

Mr Dr Slayer

Mr Dr Slayer

Posts: 517 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Some paraphrased quotes by Jmods in a video

Time ~33:09
"Around the time i started at Runescape ~12 years ago, partyhats were an important aspiration for people, they were part of the games ecosystem, 'im going to save up for one', that's died off now because partyhats have become a playground for merchers instead, they're no longer an aspirational thing because prices go up faster than you can afford them, that feels like something is gone from Runescape. I don't think we need a play thing for merchers."
*Jmod notes this is his personal opinion

Time ~33:48
Another quote regarding ge update-max cash update-rare listings
"If we dont change anything else, with the players control over the market, its unlikely people will be in a rush to sell them on the ge"

Runescapes youtube channel video titled "Let's chat about the economy, death costs and inflation in RuneScape"
uploaded July 15, 2022

How I see rares changing
1. "Rares" will return to being a reasonable 'aspiration' for players.
2. Rares will no longer be heavily controlled by a few players as it has been in the past.

For these to happen, rares will by definition, be worth 'less' (in some way) than they currently are.
Which means more players will have reach, will obtain, and trade them more frequently.

Lastly, i know some players dont want them to change it, but my answer to that is, these past updates

pvp-wild-trade restrictions
MTX
EoC
Games of chance
Duel Arena

last quote,
Time ~32:31
"Looking at partyhats is a slightly separate problem, they will be tradeable on the ge as well, because of their supply and demand, their price has become inflated, we're going to be looking at them in particular in deciding what to do with them."

Summary, old rares pre 2012, will not be the same in the future, max cash update is just the start, ge update as well, and most likely a specific update is coming directly for these old rares.

11-Oct-2022 15:10:40

Quick find code: 17-18-548-66261664 Back to Top