Forums

RuneScape coming to Steam

Quick find code: 16-17-842-66181636

Vengeance of
Mar Member 2018

Vengeance of

Posts: 2,372 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
For those who aren't watching today's stream, RuneScape 3 has been confirmed to be coming to Steam on October 14th.

I don't imagine this will directly change how most of us play, but hopefully it means a significant number of new and returning players, since Steam is... well, massive.

24-Sep-2020 17:07:05 - Last edited on 24-Sep-2020 17:08:35 by Vengeance of

Tagakhlo
Sep Member 2014

Tagakhlo

Posts: 1,119 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes, I'm sure that a significant number of new players is what Jagex is hoping for.

And if that is achieved, it will be a very good thing for the health and vitality of the game - it will let Jagex hire more people to develop more of that new content people keep clamoring for (even though I think they're already giving us plenty of new content, and should get some thanks for that).

Raising the visibility of RuneScape in this manner is indeed definitely a good thing, even if the benefits to existing players appear to me to be minor - you can downlad the Steam version and log in through it, and then earn a few additional achievements and so on, apparently.

24-Sep-2020 18:04:55 - Last edited on 24-Sep-2020 18:06:33 by Tagakhlo

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ya im Sleepy said :
is the runescape launcher still going to be a thing or am i going to have to get steam

rs is the only game i play really so iv never had a need for steam

You don't need to install Steam. The official client still works the same way. :)

24-Sep-2020 21:52:29

Alt-F43ver
Oct Member 2014

Alt-F43ver

Posts: 197 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Honestly, if I can get an enjoyable game without using Steam (like the Limited Free GTA V a while back) I would rather play them that way than using Steam as the "proxy". Some of the games I've gotten through Steam were made more complicated than if I went through the normal website.

As an example: When I first played Warframe, I went through Steam. This meant that I couldn't just buy Platinum (think a game/website currency like RuneCoins) using a credit card or paypal. I was REQUIRED to use the Steam Wallet. No exceptions. I've long since removed my Warframe account from Steam and just used DE's Launcher instead which made it run much better and was much less complicated than it ran on Steam.

Another example would be some games completely break on Steam. XG2 I grabbed up on Steam, excited to play an old favorite racing game only for it to not respond to ANY controls once the race actually began. Keyboard and Mouse? Nothing. Controller? Sorta response, but nothing actually usable. Could not even remap the controls.

Grandia II Anniversary Edition... now they're calling it an Grandia II HD Remaster. I only just noticed the update today because I don't log into Steam very often. I haven't tried it post update, but my god it was garbage before! If you ever played it on Dreamcast or PS2, you would notice the difference REALLY fast comparing the old graphics and quality to the Steam abomination.

I don't exactly hate Steam, I just don't like some of their... marketing practices and how some games, as mentioned, just work better off of Steam than on it. It's also worth mentioning how some games that are supposed to have an offline mode will sometimes break because Steam wants you to use their client (which requires internet) I can't count how many times this has caused issues trying to play certain games in offline mode or games that have no online or multiplayer mode at all.

TL DR I don't plan on using RuneScape on Steam. That's just my personal preference.

25-Sep-2020 02:13:30

Gorjonkoth

Gorjonkoth

Posts: 70 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Alt-F43ver said :

I don't exactly hate Steam, I just don't like some of their... marketing practices and how some games, as mentioned, just work better off of Steam than on it. It's also worth mentioning how some games that are supposed to have an offline mode will sometimes break because Steam wants you to use their client (which requires internet) I can't count how many times this has caused issues trying to play certain games in offline mode or games that have no online or multiplayer mode at all.

I get what you mean and as much as I like Steam as well as others I know that do, I feel it's just extra unnecessary baggage added to the client.

- When it comes to achievements RS have their own, I don't think it's really necessary. Ubisoft games I have for example have their own achievements, most if not all that I have are on Uplay and not Steam.

- Also as a side issue, lower end hardware users will undoubtedly get less performance due to the Steam client taking up space, the RS3 client is simply going to be open as well as the Steam one.

It reminds me of GOG Galaxy which I am not too fond of. Sure more of your games are in one place but it's not always better.

Aside from all this I totally respect why people would prefer Steam and I'm glad Jagex plan to integrate into other platforms in the future.
Working on Max F2P (1770 Total)

25-Sep-2020 22:30:09

Conformed
Oct Member 2023

Conformed

Posts: 2,901 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Seeing as this thread is similar to the one located in RS General, I'll just quote what I previously posted on there.

Original message details are unavailable.
Absolutely fantastic news. Not only do I love the community involvement aspect of Steam, I love being able to track my hours via Steam and play with ease through their platform.

I'm most intrigued to see how many new players we ultimately end up with. Another MMORPG that I play had their player-base tripled for about a month or so (and still has players coming in). It'd be amazing for RS to have the spotlight on the Steam homepage for at least the first couple of days, as I feel like this is one of the best forms of advertisement a game nowadays can receive. Hopefully the numbers for RS can compete with those of other popular games on Steam. That'd be a dream come true.

We can only hope that this brings in more players, more involvement, and longevity for the game. The driving force behind this is the newer players' interest in RS, which would lead to them continuing to play the game (as opposed to them trying it out for a couple days, then leaving).

Once again, great news! I'm super stoked to see what this means for the future of RS.
-- Con
for
med --

26-Sep-2020 19:01:21

Conformed
Oct Member 2023

Conformed

Posts: 2,901 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dilbert2001 said :
Ya im Sleepy said :
is the runescape launcher still going to be a thing or am i going to have to get steam

rs is the only game i play really so iv never had a need for steam

You don't need to install Steam. The official client still works the same way. :)

You don't have to, but I'd highly recommend it. There's a lot of cool features on Steam and no real downside to not to installing it. Up to you of course, but the more people that launch RS through Steam, the more popular RS will become due to Steam's game ranking system/algorithm :)
-- Con
for
med --

26-Sep-2020 19:03:38

Quick find code: 16-17-842-66181636 Back to Top