Forums

Content Treadmill

Quick find code: 16-17-240-66206659

Tagakhlo
Sep Member 2014

Tagakhlo

Posts: 1,119 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Shortly after I first started playing RuneScape, I noticed in these forums there were often complaints about how we weren't being provided with enough new content.
At the time, of course, this wasn't an issue for me, since, as a new player, I was still going through the mass of content that was already there.
But two things seemed obvious to me.
If more and more content is added to the game, ultimately it would become large and unwieldy.
Content takes a lot of time and effort to add to the game, and it it's of a type to be only experienced once before players move on, it would be very expensive to meet the demand.
Also, I noticed what seemed to me problems with two existing skills.
Killing monsters should be the exciting part of the game. But Slayer seemed to be designed to make it grindy - killing so many of the same monster over and over.
Dungeoneering seemed like the sort of thing one expects to do in an RPG. However, because you can't take things in or out of dungeons for that skill, instead of being part of the game, it was effectively just a minigame.
I came up with the suggestion that something resembling Dungeoneering could give players a procedurally-generated world to explore that would be endless, and ease the demand for a constant influx of new content.
Well, I just the other day read an article that one game publisher is working on a way to get off the "content treadmill", so someone is investigating this issue I've noticed.

06-Mar-2021 13:11:41

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Don't you realize you can gain of one skill by doing basically all kinds of stuff in other skills and activities without grinding?

For instance, you can just do daily challenge. Or you can do Reaper for slayer. You can kill Skeletal horror for slayer xp. You can kill Jade Vine and Bork for slayer xp. You can even just do anything and gain xp bonus xp of any skill and use Vic/Nic to get slayer bxp.

The list is unlimited. There is no "content treadmill" in RS3 at all. :)

07-Mar-2021 01:16:16

Narangren
Sep Member 2022

Narangren

Posts: 160 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thank you Dilbert for ONCE AGAIN being the one to try and kill any idea even mildly critical of Jagex.
Thank you for being no help at all.

Now, in response to Tagakhlo, I agree. New content is ALWAYS fun, but adding more and more new content to a single game ultimately makes that game too big to run effectively. The Dungeoneering skill is interesting and fun, having no gear going in or out makes it a minigame, yes, and I do enjoy it that way, however, having something similar to that, where items can be taken in and out, would make it so much more appealing to many players.
Yes, RS3, like most games, has a content treadmill, and yes, your suggestion is a good one.

P.S. Dilbert, those options for Slayer are just different forms of grinds, you didn't refute anything.
Narangren Tirthallion, sword-for-hire, at your service.

09-Mar-2021 04:57:00

Quick find code: 16-17-240-66206659 Back to Top