Forums

Giant butterfly

Quick find code: 15-16-792-66277840

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

Posts: 13,757 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This event is way too difficult. Mostly because the game cannot handle the amount of players needed to succeed. The chat doesn't flow across the screen to other groups of players, so they can be unaware that they have made the wrong choice of butterfly.

It would be cool to know the actual number of players required, so I can further complain about the expected server load.

But more important there are ways a game developer could improve the situation.

The main problem is when the first giant butterfly splits. 3 huge butterflies spawn. The ideal method would be to make these 3 look different in some way that can be communicated to other players.

As it is, by the time I go to another group to tell them which direction to go, the direction is no longer valid. It's mostly pointless. So I just look over there and sigh.

Since we already have different colors of Guthix butterflies, that would be a desired option. Yellow, White or Green.

Personally I wouldn't use those colors, but that's not important. Just something/anything that can be used to communicate which butterfly to catch. Something noticeable, I'm not talking about a 2% difference in shade or a stripe on their antenna. Big and bright.

06-Apr-2023 01:07:56

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

For the players, when the Giant butterfly splits it is best to wait a couple seconds before clicking the new ones. Usually 1 of them will stray further away from the others. That is the one to target, the one that goes off by itself.

Otherwise you gotta zoom out and compare the bars. If you aren't on the lowest bar you are going to miss that reward, and also increase the chance of failure.

It can be hard to click when switching butterflies, and have that click recognized by the game, but that seems to be the winning tactic.

06-Apr-2023 01:59:44 - Last edited on 06-Apr-2023 03:28:31 by Roddy Piper

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

Also I am super disappointed to see the Skilling Pet Bunny Ear tokens are on the SoF. I was wondering why they are so rare that I probably won't even get one. One of 28, random.

Totally explained now. It's cool that Runescape likes to make updates for themselves, but it would be even cooler if players are included more often.

The expected failure is not good for my morale. Always losing, and if I do win, that is super suspicious!

What am I even trying to win? I'm not using those pets anyways so from that POV it's ALL just silly. I still have no idea what is up with the cosmetic food egg items. Should I actually want them? I might use one as a bank tab marker. So that's a positive.

I see they are used to fill an empty basket that probably should have been a participation trophy, but it is also a rare. Maybe I would have cared if I got the basket already.

For this update, I am only doing it because I enjoy catching the butterflies. But if the rewards are just a dead-end that doesn't seem very interesting. I already have enough charges in my cape to last until next year.

06-Apr-2023 02:15:50

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

There is lots of chatter from players world hopping to get extra maps from the original Giant butterfly spawn. That further undermines the playability and rewards those who skip the difficult part.

Just like with the wilderness flash events, I am totally against the concept of hopping for multiple rewards in a time based event. I wouldn't try it, and IMO the game shouldn't allow it.

It seems like the rewards are balanced for it, making the whole experience even worse.

Tying those same events to MTX after a couple days is just rude.

Chasing Jackpots. Tradeable rares. Yuk.

06-Apr-2023 15:00:06

MangaFreak
Jul Member 2010

MangaFreak

Posts: 2,434 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
yeah, i'm not too happy with how they did rewards this year for the "easter" event. only new reward from spring festival this year was a title... meanwhile if you wanted any of the good rewards you'll either need the best rng in the game or a crap load of money irl or in game. I honestly don't like the way holiday events have been going lately.
-one does not simply create a signature-

06-Apr-2023 18:51:48

Jazz X
Mar Member 2014

Jazz X

Posts: 147 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The best tactic when the giant butterfly splits into 3 huge ones is in fact to just click any one.

Then lower your camera angle and watch the health bars, moving to the one that has the lowest health bars.

Two huge butterflies are possible so you have a 2/3 chance of contributing to ones that actually finish just by clicking any to start.

Waiting to click just lowers everyone's chance of finishing even two.

Stating directions is almost useless at first also: one because the butterflies shift quickly at first, and two because of the area and placement of the events and bank, NPC's etc., North is not where most people expect. So when you call East, or West, etc. a lot of people go the wrong way because they were not oriented North to begin with.

I could see making the butterflies different colors but turn down your graphics and just watch for the health bar that's the lowest and you will be fine.

I agree on the rewards but it's become Jagex's way - this is the same crap they pulled with Green Santa's all over again. Introduce new prizes in an event where you get tokens/tickets/maps, or whatever with very low drop rate as a teaser then put it in Treasure Hunter.

The whole Green Santa thing, and these new events, actually got me to STOP buying keys. It's basically a form of bait and switch, but that's where Jagex is atm. The simple solution is just don't get the new items, you don't need them. There are/will be so many in game they will be nearly worthless by the end of the TH promo/event anyway (buy then if you want some) and Jagex is not promising to never release them again so value at the end will be very low.

Since Jagex burned me on the Green Santa's (I lost over 3 billion) my solution has been to adjust my expectations. I don't need/try to get all the junk anymore.

Tip: For most people: holding down the center mouse scroll wheel lets you alter/adjust the camera angle and view directions easily in game.

06-Apr-2023 21:06:22

Demonicsfire
Mar Member 2023

Demonicsfire

Posts: 271 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
just go to a high pop world and get on the butterfly with the lowest yellow bar

prob dont go to really high pop worlds like world 2. 2k people on the same tile makes the game crash.... alot. i just go to worlds with 1k people in it
Logic, who needs it...

08-Apr-2023 03:15:15

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

With all the hopping we can't even get the 2nd huge anymore. Not even close. Also if I am seeing it right, the drop rate on the wiki for an empty basket is about 1/6k.

Players on the wrong butterfly are willing to switch when you tell them, but they bounce around so much you have to abandon the correct one, click on the bad one and wait for an opportunity to give a direction those players can follow.

It's mostly hopeless and I question everything about this event. The fun is being squeezed out of it.

09-Apr-2023 17:03:52

Roddy Piper
Jan Member 2011

Roddy Piper

I decided to join the hoppers to investigate. It was a last second failure and the chat erupted in laughter and blaming of other worlds.

This event went from a fun little distraction to a comically hopeless situation based on the guaranteed free maps.

It's a clash of playing styles, all seemingly sabotaging each other's progress. This is all way more fun and interesting than the actual event.

09-Apr-2023 19:03:46 - Last edited on 09-Apr-2023 19:05:39 by Roddy Piper

Quick find code: 15-16-792-66277840 Back to Top