Forums

PLEASE Re-Audit Monster Stats

Quick find code: 15-16-451-66285321

harpoongoon

harpoongoon

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
With the necromancy update, stats for around 300 monsters have been changed to reflect the monster's combat level or its intended difficulty/rewards/xp (wiki here ). For a lot of these monsters, this works; however, I will outline a few instances where the implication(s) of the changes may be overlooked.

Thrower Trolls: Have had their damage output more than quadroupled, and can hit 700-900 through protect from missiles with decent accuracy (I know they took a ranged accuracy hit, but it doesn't feel like it's doing enough to compensate for the damage increase).

Ice Wolves: The level 95 ice wolves on the path leading up to Kamil during the Desert Treasure quest have had their damage output increased by a factor of FIVE. While this may bring their damage in line with their combat level, the change fails to account for the fact that there are around 20-30 ice wolves on that path, which is also in an area where stats and run energy are being constantly drained, leading to an unusually punishing experience for a player who is simply walking to the boss.

Jungle Spiders: Appear to have seen buffs across the board, but also impacts the spiders that spawn as jungle events during Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup. Again, these are able to hit in the 800s consistently through prayer, which can cut a player's trip quite short with the resources it requires. What makes it feel more unbalanced is that the other combat events in the minigame (the snake and mosquitoes) were not changed, and don't pose nearly as much of a threat.

These are only a few examples of what I imagine are many gameplay issues that resulted from stat changes. I'm not asking to change everything back, but just to take a bit of a deeper dive into where these monsters are located in the game and if the stats align with their role in the gameplay experience.

16-Aug-2023 06:00:00 - Last edited on 16-Aug-2023 06:00:47 by harpoongoon

Geese Go Moo

Geese Go Moo

Posts: 562 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
100% agree. I don't know if anybody's been down to the Falador mine recently, but trying to mine Luminite on my Ironman nearly lost me my Hardcore status due to how overpowered the King Scoprion is now.
It went from having a ranged attack that I didn't even know it had due to how weak it was to hitting constant 500-700's on me over night. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but for a 40+ mining spot that's a joke.

16-Aug-2023 10:23:25

WTFmybacon
Oct Member 2010

WTFmybacon

Posts: 4,220 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The wiki link since [link url=][/link] is broken and does not link to external sides:
https://runescape.wiki/w/2023_changes_to_monster_combat_stats
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

16-Aug-2023 15:59:32

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Balancing mob stats is an ongoing task as Mod Sponge has talked about it in the Necromancy Insights and Reddit. We are also going to get new mobs and remastered existing mobs (e.g. one nihil is going to be changed to Necromancy based... the best bet is Shadow Nihil of course).

Rest assured, plenty of mobs will be tweaked with plenty more new ones added. One of the aspects many players don't seem to notice is Necromancy damage is based on our accuracy, so mobs getting their defense nerfed are going to be great for Necromancy. Just a point for those who don't see the buff there. ;)

16-Aug-2023 16:12:57

Necrotising
Feb Member 2019

Necrotising

Posts: 105 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.

Thrower Trolls: Have had their damage output more than quadroupled, and can hit 700-900 through protect from missiles with decent accuracy (I know they took a ranged accuracy hit, but it doesn't feel like it's doing enough to compensate for the damage increase).

Ice Wolves: The level 95 ice wolves on the path leading up to Kamil during the Desert Treasure quest have had their damage output increased by a factor of FIVE. While this may bring their damage in line with their combat level, the change fails to account for the fact that there are around 20-30 ice wolves on that path, which is also in an area where stats and run energy are being constantly drained, leading to an unusually punishing experience for a player who is simply walking to the boss.

these monsters were originally designed to be punishing, a gating mechanism for their respective quests and areas, something that was lost with EoC due to bad balancing

This is just restoring the status quo, something that is long overdue

make monsters dangerous again.

18-Aug-2023 00:28:48

Harcourt Mud
Dec Member 2021

Harcourt Mud

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I agree. A re-rebalance is indicated.

In some cases (e.g., deadly red spider), they've vastly increased LP and damage while reducing XP rewards. Why would anyone in his right mind bother killing these creatures when it takes longer, hits way harder, and gives much less XP with no useful drops?

While I agree the XP awarded previously was more than it "should" have been for its level, I always figured that was to make up for dropping nearly nothing, giving XP instead of stuff. Now, it's a complete waste of time and resources to even bother with them.

18-Aug-2023 01:25:32

Necrotising
Feb Member 2019

Necrotising

Posts: 105 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
I agree. A re-rebalance is indicated.

In some cases (e.g., deadly red spider), they've vastly increased LP and damage while reducing XP rewards. Why would anyone in his right mind bother killing these creatures when it takes longer, hits way harder, and gives much less XP with no useful drops?

While I agree the XP awarded previously was more than it "should" have been for its level, I always figured that was to make up for dropping nearly nothing, giving XP instead of stuff. Now, it's a complete waste of time and resources to even bother with them.

there is an early quest i believe that takes you into that area.

not all monsters have to exist in order to provide the player with a valuable farming resource, sometimes a enemy is just an enemy, there to hurt and harass you on your way through the game
This is how RPG's have ALWAYS been

18-Aug-2023 08:33:05

Quick find code: 15-16-451-66285321 Back to Top