Forums

Why is purple-h'ween rising? Thread is locked

Quick find code: 15-16-410-66265167

SlR

SlR

Posts: 4,381 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
PURPLE HALLOWEEN MASK - has it been released early?

The item isn't even out yet (as far as I know) and it's mid price is rising already on the G/E!
Isn't the G/E supposed to operate on buy/sell and not offers? in which case, does the increased 'mid price' from
200m
to
219m
and now
227m
suggest they're being sold early?

"Treasure Hunter: Grim Harvest is back on Thursday October 27th ! This year it’s all about masks, with three ghastly face coverings to grab - the Boolap Bag, Spooky Hare and Spooky Ghost masks! All of them can be found in token form through the Harvest Bonus."

"There’s also a Very Rare Reward to look out for – it's a new riff on the Halloween Masks of old, the tradeable Purple Halloween Mask ! You have a chance to find this Mask with any key used in Grim Harvest ."

Does this mean people have snagged a purple h'ween early and sold it via the G/E? Hmm...

Surely the G/E doesn't update based off incomplete orders or offers alone, that would open itself up to manipulation (alts offering higher prices on niche items to push them up, etc.)
I just think its unusual to see an early price rise on an item that's not even in the game yet.
Bob says:
A bank PIN will keep your items secure.
Always check the second trade screen.
Never trade in the Wilderness!
Keep your computer keylogger-free and virus scanned.
Never give your password out to anyone.

25-Oct-2022 13:53:57 - Last edited on 25-Oct-2022 16:43:44 by SlR

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
All items must have a set price on the GE even before they are released in the game. It is not hard to see Jagex can adjust, and probably have in this case, the startup GE price of Purple Halloween Mask internally.

25-Oct-2022 17:28:43

SlR

SlR

Dilbert2001 said :
All items must have a set price on the GE even before they are released in the game. It is not hard to see Jagex can adjust, and probably have in this case, the startup GE price of Purple Halloween Mask internally.

I don't know if you're being patronising or what, but yes, all tradeable items have an initial price. My point is that the initial price changed from 200m in a way that resembles players buying/selling. Do you really think they manually adjusted it from 200m to 219m one day, then said 'oh wait, actually, no, lets make it 227m instead' ? is that what you're suggesting?

Lol, either way, I just thought it was interesting to point out. It's the first time I've seen them change the price of an item twice before release , and to such arbitrary figures. That's all O_o

pre-release g.e. price 24/10/2022

pre-release g.e. price 25/10/2022

pre-release g.e. price 26/10/2022
Bob says:

25-Oct-2022 19:47:02 - Last edited on 26-Oct-2022 13:15:54 by SlR

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
SlR said :
Dilbert2001 said :

I don't know if you're being patronising or what, but yes, all tradeable items have an initial price. My point is that the initial price changed from 200m in a way that resembles players buying/selling. Do you really think they manually adjusted it from 200m to 219m one day, then said 'oh wait, actually, no, lets make it 227m instead' ? is that what you're suggesting?

Lol, either way, I just thought it was interesting to point out. It's the first time I've seen them change the price of an item twice before release, and to such arbitrary figures. That's all O_o

Developers do test everything before they release an item on the GE. I have seen this before, long ago.

If it is a very rare reward, do you think many players would be selling it for 219m or 227m only.

Street price reported from some site also don't suggest such activities.

https://www.ely.gg/view_item/574

25-Oct-2022 19:52:57 - Last edited on 25-Oct-2022 19:59:45 by Dilbert2001

Swift Punch
Dec Member 2011

Swift Punch

Posts: 3,644 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's because the item is not released but it is on the GE already. People's buy offers are going unfulfilled making the GE "think" there is high demand but no supply meaning price goes up.

There's nothing nefarious about it other than Jagex being dumb and adding it to the GE early.

25-Oct-2022 20:24:48

Tren
May
fmod Member

Tren

Forum Moderator Posts: 92,683 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Swift Punch said :
It's because the item is not released but it is on the GE already. People's buy offers are going unfulfilled making the GE "think" there is high demand but no supply meaning price goes up.

^This is correct. The items got added to the GE, even though it is not available in game yet.
~Tren

Forum issues? ---> See Forum Help
Account issues? ---> See Account Help

25-Oct-2022 20:53:30

SlR

SlR

Oh, fair enough. I thought the G/E updates from actual trades, not from offers. Interesting. Bob says:

26-Oct-2022 09:19:18

SlR

SlR

Well, I just thought it'd be 'a bit' prone to manipulation, that's all. Grab all the stock of an item, have a bunch of alts put in higher than mid offers to drive up the price then dump em.

Yeah, I guess, if items 'rarely sold' stayed the same price for too long, that wouldn't incentivise hoarders to sell their stock. But the fact it updates via offers is probably half of the 'hoarding' problem. But I don't see an alternative, now that you mention it... I haven't thought this out properly so... Anyway! lol

Thread closed, happy h'ween hunting for tomorrow!
Bob says:

26-Oct-2022 18:23:10 - Last edited on 26-Oct-2022 18:43:38 by SlR

Quick find code: 15-16-410-66265167 Back to Top