Forums

Free vs premium?

Quick find code: 14-15-270-66286653

Zaraxin
Sep Member 2011

Zaraxin

Posts: 59 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So the hero pass seems to have introduced a distinction between "free" and "premium". Didn't it used to be free vs members? I'm a member, I'm not a free player and I'm not in the premier club. Am I now a second rate citizen?

Is premium just being used as a gold sink?

07-Sep-2023 12:14:42

Tenebri
Jan Member 2015

Tenebri

Posts: 39,414 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zaraxin said :

a gold sink? i think you maybe using that term wrong

do you mean a cash grab? then yes

a gold sink removes gp from the game. hero pass does not do that
200m all RS3 on 7/3/19
1.2Billion overall Slayer xp / Ultimate slayer title

OSRS 2277/2277 Untrim slayer cape
Hail Satan, He loves for who you are.

07-Sep-2023 12:41:52 - Last edited on 07-Sep-2023 12:42:17 by Tenebri

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"Free" tracks are for free players and members without unlocking the Premium track.

It is the same as Yak Tracks. There is no member tracks, and even free players can play Premium tracks when they unlock them with bond and remain free players.

07-Sep-2023 15:28:03 - Last edited on 07-Sep-2023 15:46:40 by Dilbert2001

Miu

Miu

Posts: 16,996 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zaraxin said :
So the hero pass seems to have introduced a distinction between "free" and "premium". Didn't it used to be free vs members? I'm a member, I'm not a free player and I'm not in the premier club. Am I now a second rate citizen?

Yeah.

Jagex wants to push the 1 year membership option so that you're unable to unsubscribe during periods of low update frequency or poor update quality and will continue to incentivize it with MTX features.
Don't forget – RuneScape members get TWO free spins a day instead of the usual one!

08-Sep-2023 03:26:55

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Miu said :
Zaraxin said :

Yeah.

Jagex wants to push the 1 year membership option so that you're unable to unsubscribe during periods of low update frequency or poor update quality and will continue to incentivize it with MTX features.

Why can't we have MTX during periods of high update frequency and high update quality like Necromancy, EGW and Archaeology etc? On the other hand it is actually bad with lower MTX but even lower update frequency and update quality like nothing but recycling old events and backporting old content like quests from the past.

It isn't even news that membership doesn't cover everything in Jagex's games. We had FSW in both RS3 and OSRS, GIM and such that will require extra membership for existing players to play as new members.

08-Sep-2023 03:45:31

SushiCombo
Jan Member 2018

SushiCombo

Posts: 6,000 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zaraxin said :

You are encouraged to spend even more money now.

08-Sep-2023 03:50:13

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

SushiCombo said :
Zaraxin said :

You are encouraged to spend even more money now.

Right! We should all know we are always encouraged to spend even more money not just on in game items and services, but also real world goods and servies like Prime Gaming bundles, Makeship Plushies etc.

Hey! Jagex is not just a subscription service company. It is a game-of-a-service company. They always want us to spend a lot more money than just paying a flat membership fee. :)

08-Sep-2023 04:00:30 - Last edited on 08-Sep-2023 04:01:26 by Dilbert2001

Jeremy Cheng
Aug Member 2013

Jeremy Cheng

Posts: 25,679 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zaraxin said :

Yes, us players who aren't premium pass members or premier members are indeed treated like second rate citizens. It goes from premium members being first rate citizens to regular members being second rate citizens to f2p players who are third rate citizens. Hence why so much is gatelocked behind premium pass/premium members. If you aren't part of the club, you'll get less rewards and they won't change it ever.

08-Sep-2023 04:08:27

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Jeremy Cheng said :
Zaraxin said :

Yes, us players who aren't premium pass members or premier members are indeed treated like second rate citizens. It goes from premium members being first rate citizens to regular members being second rate citizens to f2p players who are third rate citizens. Hence why so much is gatelocked behind premium pass/premium members. If you aren't part of the club, you'll get less rewards and they won't change it ever.

At least Permier Club is still based on subscription to Runescape, and can also be bought with Runescape/OSRS Bonds. There are also an even higher tier of "citizenship" with Prime Gaming and such that even Premier Club members can't get their rewards like Purple Skin, Exclusive Soul War Worlds, etc.

So if you insist, the tier of "citizenship" actually goes like Partnership membership like Prime Gaming -> Premier Club -> regular membership -> F2P.

08-Sep-2023 17:51:40

Scouse
Feb Member 2018

Scouse

Posts: 29,038 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zaraxin said :

I'm not arsed about the gold sink thing..

But you thinking that you are now a second rate citizen pisses me right off....

Us "normal" members have been and always will be the only reason this game has survived this long.

These "premium" members basically just pay for cosmetic shit which has no influence on the game what so ever.

Don't get me wrong.........

If you want this premium status, in my eyes, that is all well and good but in reality, all they are is..........

Slightly better dressed players who at times may win a better reward from that spin thing lol

Much love

Scouse - Used to being called a scruff while probably better dressed than most others =)
[qfc id=]whatever[/qfc]
#JFT96
August 15th 2017, the day Jagex freed me
Liverpool is love, Liverpool is life

08-Sep-2023 21:27:08

Quick find code: 14-15-270-66286653 Back to Top